Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Who is your Hero?

Moving right along from that idiotic rant the other day i pose you a question...

Who is your Hero?

You want me to define hero? No, you define hero for yourself.

You see, we all have people who we look up to, people we strive to be like, people we love spending time with, people who make us smile, and support us, and believe in us.

One thing that impresses me about certain people is their ability to be steady. You see, because steady would be the last word on earth that anyone would use to describe me.

People have often asked me who my heros are. My answer has always been 'my friends', i am very selective and they are all heros in their own way.

But today I'm gonna talk about one of these people in particular. His name is Jeff. He has been through a lot over the last two years. In fact, he has been through more pain and fear, and shock and uncertainty than anyone should ever have to go through in an entire lifetime. He has also shown more strength and courage and optimism then most people show in a lifetime.



One word I would use to describe my friend - no, my hero - he is steady. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with Jeff during the first week of his journey. He was very quiet, he was just hit with a ton of bricks right square in the face, steady.

You know what I would have done? Me neither, but most likely it would have been along the lines of screaming at the top of my lungs, eating until my stomach exploded, and drinking myself into a stooper for about 6 months. Unsteady.

Jeff then preceded upon his journey, and was always positive everytime I talked to him. People would ask me how he was doing. I would always say, "He sounds great and he is in good spirits." I didn't know if that is what he wanted me to believe, or if that was what was really happening. That is what I wanted to be happening, but the reality of it is that I knew deep down that it was a cover. He was in a living hell. But he wouldn't let me see it. Steady.

Me? I would have been acting like a 12 year old girl who just saw her secret crush kiss the popular girl. That is right, I would have been pissing and moaning and feeling sorry for myself. I would never have been able to hold it together. Unsteady.

Jeff decided that while the treatments he was receiving were no doubt his best option at the time, he was having a hard time sitting back and waiting for them to work. He decided that a little research on his part could lead him to make lifestyle changes that could have a positive impact on his health. Taking action. Steady, no doubt.

Anyway, before I make you buy the novel and read the book, I just want to say that you don't know what is going to happen, but that in order to handle life's ups and downs sometimes you just need to be steady. Rock-steady. You never know, you might even end up being someones hero.

Read Jeff's blog here:

http://jeffhartnett.blogspot.com/

Leave him comments, email him. I promise he will read them, right after his nap :)

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hey Bro,

I like the post! Thanks for the shoutout. You're the man!! Keep up the good work in Tahoe, and we'll be rewarded with a sick amount of snow this winter.

-Harnie

Ryan D said...

I like how your bloog just isnt about training.

It's certainly good to rant (the "money" post), and go off on tangents.

Keep it up!

ps- I am "slowly" getting back into "training".